The Department of Estate Management offers a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Honours Degree in Estate Management. The Department was established at Covenant University’s inception in 2002 because the founding fathers of the University realized first that a developing country like Nigeria needs Estate Surveyors and Valuers to assist in providing, managing and carrying out improvements on buildings and infrastructure on the one hand, and in expanding urban property markets on the other hand. Secondly, that only few Universities in Nigeria offered the Estate Management Programme while many young graduates of Estate Management are mainly interested in practice. Thirdly, there is a need to create an atmosphere for the development of the total man, via the vehicle of education and pioneering mental productivity to produce a new generation of leaders and solution providers. Through this approach, the University has been able to raise leaders in the area of supervision, management and control of interests in landed property through education, training and research with total commitment to marketability, truthfulness, entrepreneurship and fear of God. This has been achieved through the inculcation of the seven Core Values of Covenant University in the students, thus enhancing the development of leadership qualities in the graduates.
To create knowledge and restore the dignity of the black man via a Human Development and Total Man Concept-driven curriculum employing innovative, cutting edge, teaching and learning methods, research and professional services that promote integrated, life-applicable, life-transforming education relevant to the context of Science, Technology and Human Capacity Building
The Philosophy of the Department of Estate Management is drawn from the University’s Vision which is the development of the Total Man via the vehicle of education, that is, to raising new generation of leaders and solution providers. The Programme is therefore designed to produce graduates who can serve as supervisors, managers and control interests in landed property through education, training and research with a total commitment to marketability, truthfulness, entrepreneurship and the fear of God.
The objectives of the Estate Management programme are to:
- train students to acquire skills in the constituent disciplines of Property Valuation, Property Development, Property and Facility Management and Maintenance. In order to support this specialization, students go through courses in Building Construction, Town Planning, Land Law, Economics, Land Economics, Land Surveying and Land Policy;
- equip students with cutting-edge and up-to-date analytical techniques in tackling complex economic, political and administrative questions on land use, development, and management as well as other issues facing the contemporary Nigerian built environment;
- introduce students to new dimensions of self reliance through two University wide courses, namely, Entrepreneurial Development Studies (EDS) and Total Man Concept (TMC). These would make the graduates job creators rather than job seekers and leaders fit spiritually, mentally balanced, emotionally stable and physically sound;
- produce graduates who are well suited for employment in the modern world through explicit emphasis on the interactions of the private and public sectors; and
- infuse students with the seven Core Values of Covenant University: Spirituality, Integrity, Possibility Mentality, Responsibility, Diligence, Sacrifice and Capacity Building so as to equip the students with leadership qualities.